The foundation stone of the current building was laid in 1878 with the first service taking place on 17th January 1879 as St.John’s Free Presbyterian Church. After the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland, the unifed Eyemouth Parish Church used the building. In 1979 it was listed Category C(S), Historic Scotland Building ID 31166. The church has seating for 280 on ground floor and 90 in the balcony. There is access and facilities for people with disabilities, including a loop hearing system in the church and hall.
Behind the church there is a hall with a kitchen and serving hatch, two small meeting rooms: the vestry and the session room. The Hall has a separate accessible entrance alongside the church and has separate toilets. The hall as well as being used for congregational activities is available for community use, birthday parties and private hires.Booking Details
The RE:NEW project has been setup by Eyemouth Parish Church to regenerate the current church building into a welcoming environment and flexible space allowing its use for a wider range of congregational and community activities and to further facilitate more wide ranging community engagement.
Transforming the existing interior to improve flexibility for both church and community use
Improving accessibility into, as well as through the building into the existing hall
Upgrading facilities within the building, including additional all-access toilets and additional kitchen facilities
Redesigning and replacing heating system to reduce costs and environmental impact
Additional storage for tables and chairs to allow the new space to be cleared when needed
Minimising Health and Safety risks by user friendly design
Architect's draft of the view from the chancel
Architect's draft of the new innerporch and fellowship area with basic kitchen facilities
Architect's draft of the new ramp
Architect's draft of the new chancel